What to Do After a Car Accident
No matter who is at fault, car accidents can be a difficult situation to navigate, and knowing what to do after a car accident will help you get back on roads in no time. Getting into a car accident can be a traumatic event, and can cause even more stress if you have to file a car accident insurance claim also. Learn all the helpful steps you need to take on what to do after a car accident, and check out more helpful safety and service tips from the experts at Anderson Auto Group.
What to Do After a Car Accident Checklist
Minor car accidents can happen anywhere from a fender-bender at a stop light to someone sideswiping your vehicle, and much more. Take these quick steps if you find yourself in a minor car accident below:
- First and foremost, check to see if you or your passengers need medical attention. If so, call an ambulance right away.
- If you’re in stable condition, pull your vehicle over to a safe spot. You don’t want to stray too far from the scene of the accident, but you also don’t want to block traffic.
- Call the police. Even if the other driver suggests that you don’t need the police for a minor accident, you should still call. It’s best to have an official report documented, and your insurance company may require it.
- Exchange contact information. Exchange phone numbers, email addresses, and the insurance policy information of the other driver(s) involved. It’s also important to get a photo of everyone’s driver’s licenses, license plate numbers, and insurance cards. If there were any witnesses to the accident, you should also ask for their contact information.
- Document your vehicle’s damage. Take detailed photos of the damage to both your vehicle and the other vehicle or vehicles involved. If possible, you should also get a photo of the accident scene.
- Call your insurance provider. The sooner you tell them the details of the accident, the sooner the claims process can begin.
Major accidents are much more time sensitive as they can involve critical injuries as well as possible fatalities. Here are the steps you should take should you find yourself in a major car accident below:
- Call 911 right away. If you’re seriously injured, you should alert emergency personnel or have someone call on your behalf immediately. The police should come along with an ambulance to assess the scene and damage. If you need immediate medical attention and cannot document important information on your own, the police will likely have considered this. However, it’s always important to follow up to ensure you have all the information you need.
- Contact your insurance provider. Even if someone already filed the claim on your behalf while you were receiving medical attention, you should follow up with your insurance provider. You’ll need to give them more information about the accident to ensure everyone is properly compensated.
- Follow up with your physician. If you’re still feeling any pain after the accident and after being treated by emergency personnel, you should visit your regular physician for additional help.
How to File a Car Accident Insurance Claim
If you need to file a car accident insurance claim, you’ll want to submit photos of the accident and the police report to the insurance adjuster who will provide an estimate of coverage and damages. You can file an insurance claim online with many major providers, however, some may require an in-person inspection to get the best assessment of the repairs.When it comes to knowing how to file a car insurance claim, you’ll need the following:
- Your insurance policy number
- Detailed description of how the accident occurred
- Date, time, and location of the accident
- All the collected contact and insurance information from other involved parties
- Name of the police department involved, as well as the police report number (if applicable)
Find Great Service to Get Back on the Road at Anderson Auto Group
Now that you know more about what to do after a car accident and how to file a car insurance claim, you’ll be best prepared for anything. Turn to Anderson Auto Group for all of your service and maintenance needs and we’ll get you back on roads in no time. Explore our inventory of OEM parts and accessories and contact us today to schedule your next service appointment at our Lake Havasu City dealership!
Learn More With Anderson Auto Group